Is your desk getting in the way of your productivity? Do you have papers and folders everywhere? Clutter isn’t the only thing that will rob your focus — how the furniture is arranged and what you choose to place on your desk play a big role too. It’s called Feng Shui and I was able to learn about it from one of the great experts, Judith Wendell from SacredCurrents.com. She’s given us a list of ways to make your office space work for you and allow you to be more efficient.
by Judith Wendell
Many of us experience life as unpredictable. Insuring that our work spaces are supportive, is the purpose of Feng Shui. There are a few key Feng Shui principles (based on thousands of years of experience mind you) that will give you the edge you need to land the deal, get the client, dodge a bullet (or lay off) or be chosen for the award. At very least following the 8 point Feng Shui office checklist for success will offer you greater vitality and health at the office.
1. It is important to have a solid wall behind you. If that’s not possible then have the highest back chair you can. The further back you sit in a room the stronger your position.
2. Have a full view of the door without being in direct line with it and never sit behind the swing of your door. This is called the “command position.”
3. Never have your back to the door unless you have a reflective surface in front of you so that you can see the door and who may be standing behind you.
4. If your door faces a window — something as simple as hanging a crystal in the window can help the ‘chi’ or life force from flying out too quickly (with your business in hand!)
5. The further back you sit in your office the stronger your position.
6. Never work on a glass top table or desk – you may lose work or it may not be strong. If your desk must be glass, get a big blotter.
7. It is most favorable if your desk has front & side panels to protect you and your work.
8. Ideally your work should flow from left to right on your desk…from “new beginnings” to “completion.” The ‘bagua’ or Feng Shui template can be applied to a desk. When doing so the you will find that your ‘wealth’ area is in the upper left hand corner and your area of ‘recognition’ is in front of you on the far edge of the desk. What there now? Hopefully not an old coffee cup!
Judith Wendell is the founder of SACRED CURRENTS; a company dedicated to creating vital and thriving environments since 1998. Judith offers her expertise to corporate and private clients alike. She holds a three-year accredited degree from the BTB Feng Shui Professional Training Program. Her knowledge of Classical Flying Star Feng Shui, Space Clearing Rituals and interior design, inform all her consultations. The New York Times said, “Candle 79 hired Ms. Wendell to go where no contractor had gone before…” Judith has also appeared in New York Magazine, NBC Today show, CNN International Business, Conte Nast Traveler, Glamour, PBS, The New York Post, and others. Find her at www.sacredcurrents.com
- Join hundreds of others on my email list and get free updates sent to your inbox!
Search List Producer
Successful List Producers
My Teleseminar Sign Up
Featured in “Whole Living”
Get my FREE ebook
- List for Surviving Your Holiday Party
- Never Be Late Again
- Fab Find For Good: Nick’s Picks
- Productivity Gift Guide for List Makers
- December Newsletter: Tis The Season To Be Productive!
- How to Live a Life Full of Gratitude
- 5 Productivity Tips For Black Friday Shopping
- 20 Apps To Beat Holiday Stress
- Fab Find: TalkTo App Is A Free Assistant
- 3 Times Procrastination Is Good For You